CBD 101: A Guide To CBD in 2023
CBD, once thought of as a food supplement reserved exclusively for hippies and celebrities, has become increasingly popular in recent years and has undeniably earned its place in the wellness sector. From oils to gummies, balms, gels and even vapes, there are more CBD products available than ever before. However, not all CBD products are created equal and they can often have a bad reputation due to the unsubstantiated claims of the benefits associated with its usage.
So what is CBD and why do we need it?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a natural chemical that can be found in the cannabis plant but does not cause a high nor is it addictive. It has been found to have many benefits for mental and physical wellbeing such as:
1. Sleep + Relaxation: CBD helps the body progress through the normal stages of sleep and REM sleep without undue interruption.
2. Stress + Anxiety: Research has found that CBD has been seen to help reduce symptoms of stress and anxiety by reducing the body’s cortisol secretion.
3. Pain management + muscle recovery: CBD works to reduce pain and muscle tension due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Mental Clarity: CBD can improve mental clarity and focus by easing the flow of serotonin and influencing dopamine levels in the body
5. Anti-Addictive Properties: As mentioned, CBD is not addictive and has actually been found to help treat drug addiction such as nicotine use.
How to know which brand to use?With the CBD market becoming more saturated, it is difficult to know which products are worth the hype and which are jumping on the bandwagon.
Enter Serena Organics; a premium CBD range created to respond to the growing demand, whilst addressing the absence of trustworthy CBD products. All of the products are to a gold standard, meaning their ingredients are responsibly sourced, scientifically processed and thoroughly tested. They offer a range of products, including edibles, capsules and tinctures, and doses ranging from 10-40% CBD concentration - the latter being the highest available in the UK market.
The hemp that they use has been organically grown, meaning that the products are 100% free from pesticides, fungicides and heavy metals, so you know that you're not taking any nasties with your daily dose of zen.
We asked the Serena Organics team our burning questions about CBD
What is the most effective way to take CBD?
The best way to take CBD is by dropping a few drops under your tongue. Rest the oil under your tongue for 60 seconds before swallowing. This allows the CBD to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream and is quicker than swallowing, as the absorption can be far more variable depending on what you have consumed that day. As for topicals, we recommend applying directly onto the desired area. Where the CBD is absorbed into the skin, the anti-inflammatory properties will help in reducing muscle soreness and joint pain. You can also incorporate the drops into your morning oats, smoothie, or coffee if you prefer.
Does it matter what time of day you take it?
You can take CBD as and when desired or whenever you feel you need it. Most of our users prefer to incorporate CBD oil drops into their morning routine and again before bed. We recommend consistent use to really feel the benefits over time.
Will you see the effects of CBD immediately?
Like most natural supplements, CBD is not just a “quick fix” to an immediate problem. It works to improve symptoms by triggering your own body to make necessary internal changes and while many people experience instant relief within an hour after taking the oil, for best results we recommend incorporating our CBD oil into your daily routine to maintain optimal wellness.
How much CBD should I take?
The dosage of CBD depends on the strength you are using. For the Serena Organics tincture range, we recommend taking 5-6 drops at 10% strength, 3-4 drops at 15% and 1-2 drops at 40%, up to 3 times daily.
Will CBD work for me?
CBD is unique to everyone, but it’s important to have a high enough dose, to benefit the most. Like any medicine, CBD is not effective for everybody. Around 80% of people who take CBD will experience some of the benefits, leaving 20% who are seemingly resistant to the effects. However, this is often due to individuals not taking enough, so it’s important to ensure you’re taking a high enough dose. The average dose of CBD is around 60-100mg daily, but it’s important to recognise that this is very personalised to each user.
For more information head to our YouTube where you can find more information on how to use our products, along with our expert guide to CBD with our scientific and clinical advisor Professor Michael Barnes. See here.
Written by Rebecca Jackson